Sunday, December 27, 2015

The Science of Staying Warm

Field test  

Sunday, December 27th. 8 am.
Quinter, KS.

Temperature inside my car was at freezing water's freezing point last night.

Fractals on my windowpane.
Yes the ice flakes are inside my car!
I wanted to prove I can sleep in my car through 18F cold, and this is proof enough to me.

Outside temperature 20 to 16 F

Temperature between my blankets 66F
Here's my shelter.


I made a tent with my full-size comforter. The edges hang over the four headrests. I sleep underneath.

Blue flannel mountain
Interior of my fort
It's like when as kids we build forts with kitchen table chairs. It was fun!

Temperatures


From top left: car interior, edge of tent, center of tent, between the blankets.
(If I put captions underneath, the pictures don't stay in place.)

Summary: 20F outside, 32F in car, 44F at tent, 52F in tent, 68F in blankets

Interesting fact:

Milk freezes at a lower temperature than water, because it is a colloid with fat and protein globules that make it harder for water to form a solid crystal.

At first I thought my thermometer was not accurate, because it read 32 F - at which water freezes, yet my milk remained liquid through the night. Then I remembered high school chemistry and that adding particles to a solution can reduce its freezing point, like sprinkling salt to de-ice a sidewalk.

Milk freezes at 31 F, so that hairline difference in temperature allowed me to enjoy a liquid gulp of ice cold cowy goodness in the morning.


Recess

In cold places, people like to think warm

Christmas at the beach
Frosty 'the bundle of hay' man

1 comment:

  1. Man that looks cozy. But what happens when you have to pee in the middle of the night?

    ReplyDelete

You can add Images, Colored Text and more to your comment.
See instructions at http://macrolayer.blogspot.com..