Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Focusing on Accomplishments

I have problems giving myself enough credit for things I do. I feel I'm a lot more capable about it than I use to be.

It took me a long time as a child to understand the concept of pride in one's work. I was raised with the culture that you do what you're supposed to, you don't get rewarded just for doing what's expected. So when I went to school and other children and teachers congratulated each other all the time with "Good job" and sugary compliments, I was like, "What is this noise? These people are crazy."

My fourth grade teacher asked me, "What are you proud of?" in one of the writing assignments. I couldn't produce an answer. At first I wanted to argue against the idea and the culture. But I realized the concept of pride was something I rejected as irresponsible without having experienced it for myself. It was only years later that I began to set my own goals and held myself to expectations that I met when I really "got" what pride meant. Not duty or ego, but actual pride.

I like to buy journals. There's one in particular I like. It's from a Inner-Truth series of journals made by Knock Knock that prompts you to record your progress and accomplishments in life. The front cover has the following title:
"I'M DOING MY BEST. A journal in which to prove that despite any indications to the contrary I am constantly working on myself and trying to become the very best me even though it's a much slower and harder process than Oprah and Deepak would have me believe and while I would sometimes prefer just to swallow a pill or have a personality transplant I will keep plugging away at this infernal self-improvement thing until I've done so well I can come back in my next life as a golden retriever."
All that. Literally. All on the front cover. I love that. The words are funny and true and gets the meaning of it.

In the journal, I jot little notes about what I did that I had even a little pride in. I brought the mail inside. I went on a run and saw three people on the street. I read my emails. Stuff like that. Because I know I'm inclined not to give myself enough credit, I ought to err on the side of excess rather than judge whether my "accomplishment" was worthy enough to be written down. Anything. If it came to mind, then it's worthy of being written down. No exclusions apply. Then a little while later I'd check back and it helped me be comfortable telling myself, hey I did something with my time today. See? I have proof. I don't feel the need to write these notes anymore, but at moments of my life, it was beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can add Images, Colored Text and more to your comment.
See instructions at http://macrolayer.blogspot.com..